The Institute of Economics carries out research and training activities in the field of empirical and theoretical economics. Our main lines of research include:
- The theory and empirics of firm-industry dynamics, with specific focus on firm growth, productivity, export, innovative active and external financing
- The economics of innovation and technical change (sources, institutions and consequences)
- Micro and macro agent-based models, with particular attention to both the real side of the economy and the banking/financial sectors
- Empirical and theoretical analysis of micro and macroeconomic networks, especially in finance, trade, foreign direct investment, migration and mobility
- Individual, organizational and collective decisions beyond the rational choice paradigm
- Evolutionary foundations of macro-economics
- Evolutionary finance
- Economic history of technology and technical change
- Industrial and technological policies in industrialized and developing countries
- Applied statistics and econometrics
- Political, social and economic consequences of climate change
We welcome and favour dialogue between empirical investigations, theoretical developments and normative contributions - concerning both corporate management and public policies - offering an interdisciplinary environment in which different research interests and competencies, ranging from Economics, to Information Sciences, Mathematics and Physics meet and can be fruitfully integrated.
Our researchers are well nested in an international network, also through the participation to various national and international research projects.
Historically, most of the research activities have been undertaken within the LEM - Laboratory of Economics and Management. Now all research and training activities have been taken over by the Institute, but LEM still keeps its brandname on a prestigious Working Paper Series.
Nasce a Pisa il corso di dottorato (Ph.D) in “Data Science” per formare gli scienziati e i professionisti che si occuperanno di questa innovativa disciplina, con promettenti interessi scientifici e interessanti prospettive in termini occupazionali
“Roboetica, dall’algoritmo all’umanoide” è il titolo del ciclo di conferenze promosso dall’Accademia Toscana di Scienze e Lettere “La Colombaria” che, dal 15 al 29 giugno, vede come relatori tre docenti della Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna: l’ingegnere Giorgio Buttazzo, la giurista Erica Palmerini, la filosofa politica Barbara Henry
The UCA international doctoral program in economics offers training on traditional economic disciplines - like microeconomics, macroeconomics,
econometrics, financial market analysis, industrial organization - and training on disciplines embedding a complexity-based perspective such as
computational economics, experimental economics, the analysis of financial and economic networks, the analysis of dynamical systems. The
Demand, Innovation and growth: a review of the long run linkages from an Evolutionary perspective
Andreas Chai, Griffith University
The Institute of Economics will hold the next meeting of its Seminar Series on Tuesday, July 11, 2017: Andreas Chai from the Griffith University - Australia - will give a seminar on "Demand, Innovation and growth: a review of the long run linkages from an Evolutionary perspective".