The Institute of Economics carries out research and training activities in the field of empirical and theoretical economics. Our main lines of research include:
- The theory and empirics of firm-industry dynamics, with specific focus on firm growth, productivity, export, innovative active and external financing
- The economics of innovation and technical change (sources, institutions and consequences)
- Micro and macro agent-based models, with particular attention to both the real side of the economy and the banking/financial sectors
- Empirical and theoretical analysis of micro and macroeconomic networks, especially in finance, trade, foreign direct investment, migration and mobility
- Individual, organizational and collective decisions beyond the rational choice paradigm
- Evolutionary foundations of macro-economics
- Evolutionary finance
- Economic history of technology and technical change
- Industrial and technological policies in industrialized and developing countries
- Applied statistics and econometrics
- Political, social and economic consequences of climate change
We welcome and favour dialogue between empirical investigations, theoretical developments and normative contributions - concerning both corporate management and public policies - offering an interdisciplinary environment in which different research interests and competencies, ranging from Economics, to Information Sciences, Mathematics and Physics meet and can be fruitfully integrated.
Our researchers are well nested in an international network, also through the participation to various national and international research projects.
Historically, most of the research activities have been undertaken within the LEM - Laboratory of Economics and Management. Now all research and training activities have been taken over by the Institute, but LEM still keeps its brandname on a prestigious Working Paper Series.
Venerdì 24 novembre, dalle 9.30 nel Palazzo della Carovana, sede della Scuola Normale Superiore, gli allievi selezionati dalle due istituzioni si ritrovano insieme per conoscere l’offerta didattica e le linee di ricerca delle due scuole universitarie superiori di Pisa
Secondo il Times Higher Education la Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – che nel 2017 festeggia i 30 anni dalla fondazione – rientra nei 150 migliori atenei al mondo per Business & Economics
Marx, exploitation and development
Marco Lippi - Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance
Marco Lippi, author of the book 'Marx il valore come costo sociale reale' (1976), will chair a discussion on Marx, exploitation and development with the faculty of the Institute of Economics.
Seminario: Why you should always use automatic model selection in empirical studies
, Sede centrale - Aula 6
David Hendry - Oxford University
Seminario: A Dual Mandate for the Bank of Canada - or - Does Inflation Targeting Enhance Productivity Growth?
, Palazzo Toscanelli - Aula 1
Marc Lavoie - University of Paris 13 and University of Ottawa
Seminario: Connecting to power: political connections, innovation and firm dynamics
Francesca Lotti - Bank of Italy